A long time ago, Paradiso used to be called Calprino. Its origin is very old, but not specified. During the construction of the road along Monte San Salvatore, 400 pieces from the Roman times were found suchl as rings, iron tools and pieces of vessels. Despite the corrosion of many of the coins, it could generate an almost continuous series from the age of Triumviri until the age of Licinio. This small district of the city of Lugano is situated on the shores of the lake of Lugano and got its name officially in 1929. It has many facilities for the population and for the entertainment of tourists, including many hotels and restaurants, a pier, a railway station and the Monte San Salvatore funicular, operating since 1890. The funicular has a path divided into two sections: Paradiso – Pazzallo and Pazzallo-San Salvatore.
In 1835 Paradiso was mentioned for the first time but it took another century untill it was officially used. The village is located at the foot of San Salvatore and only covers an area of about 0.86 square km. It consists of four areas: Calprino, Guidino, Fontana and Morchino. The population of Paradiso is estimated at 3,606 inhabitants and most of them speak Italian. The most practiced religion in the village is Catholicism.